Effective communication is essential to the success of ANY relationship. My coaching tip for this week is to to over-communicate. That means, be intentional about expressing what you’re thinking and feeling so that you don’t leave your mate guessing. Below are some things to consider as you practice over-communicating this week:
- Over-communicating is better than under-communicating.
- Remember that you are ALWAYS communicating something even if you’re not saying a word.
- Be direct! Avoid the extra talk and get straight to the point.
- Say exactly what you mean! Your mate should NOT have to decode your message to figure out what you are “really” trying to say.
- Make sure your actions are consistent with your words!
- Speak for yourself. Your conversation should start with, continue with and end with “I think…” or “I feel…”
- Try alternate forms of communicating particularly if verbal communication is difficult (i.e. paper, text, email, etc.)
- Ask for feedback.
If effective communication is a persistent challenge in your relationship we would love to help! Give us a call at (682) 238-0485 to speak with a member of our coaching staff. The sooner you do, the better off you’ll be. Peace and blessings!